NorthStar 5/e 3 Reading and Writing
Get ready for academic study and the workplace of tomorrow
Northstar is an intensive integrated skills course. It incorporates critical thinking and academic skills with language development, and engages students through authentic and compelling content. It is designed to prepare students for the demands of college level and university study.
Book – Reading and Writing
- 8 units per level
- Focus on Topic: each unit begins with a speaking exercise with questions that draw students into the topic and initiate critical thinking, encouraging students to make a personal connection.
- Focus on Reading – the unit leads with a Reading exercise with two thought-provoking texts to stimulate students. A comprehension exercise reinforces meaning and pronunciation. Students are encouraged to take notes on main ideas and details on both readings, helping them to more deeply understand the ideas presented.
- Explicit skill instruction and practice: step-by-step practice builds students’ critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Focus on Writing: students review and expand on the unit vocabulary, and practice grammar structures to prepare them for the final speaking test.
- A task-based approach to process writing: a final writing task gives students an opportunity to integrate the ideas, vocabulary, and grammar presented in the unit.
Access to audio and video is available through the app and online in MyEnglishlab.